- Save Money and Cure Your Acne Very Fast and Easy - Use these Exclusive Exposed Skin Care Coupon Codes >> Click Here Now
A study suggested that in Western countries, acne may be caused by diet in the majority (80-95%) of teenagers. The study was based on the people of Kitava island, which eat a very low fat diet rich in carbs and fruits and veggies.
- That’s Interesting, Right? Is Too Much Fat Intake Bad For Acne?
But how about the certain amount of fat our bodies actually need to absorb certain vitamins in the intestines? Some fat is needed, so complete elimination of fats from your menu may not be ideal for treating acne. Extremes are bad for the skin.
- So How Do High Fat Levels Work On The Skin?
High amounts of fat increases oil production in the skin by sebaceous glands. All the additional fatty acids increase chances of plugging of hair follicles in the skin, and thus increase chances of the bacteria causing infections (pimples).
- How About The Link Between Diet And Hormones?
It is thought that our rich Westernized diets (high fat) can induce signaling within cells that can induce a higher production of hormones. Excess male hormones such as testosterone can imbalance the oil production activities of the skin, making acne worse.
- So, Just To Be Safe, What Should I Avoid For Preventing Acne?
To be safe (as it might differ from person to person), avoid these:
- Sugary foods
- Chemical additives present in canned goods
- Fried and highly processed foods
- Dehydration (drink lots of water daily)
- Smoking (increases free radicals, unstable molecules that cause cell damage all over the body, including the skin, which can worsen acne cases).
- And, As Usual, Cleaning Routines Are Important:
- Wash face only 2x/day, at morning and at night
- Too much washing (even with water) will make skin actually worse
- Wash with a 2% salycilic acid wash
- Put on a low benzoyl peroxide cream at night (5% DDF benzoyl peroxide with tea tree oil will help lesions heal faster).
- Keep hands off the face/chin/neck, etc