- Benzoyl Peroxide
- What are the Side Effects of Benzoyl Peroxide?
- What Things We Have to Keep in Mind When Using Benzoyl Peroxide?
- Sulfur and Resorcinol
- What are the Side Effects of Sulfur and Resorcinol?
- What Things We Have to Keep in Mind When Using Sulfur?
- Salicylic Acid
- What are the Side Effects of Side Effects of Salicylic Acid?
- Alcohol and Acetone
- What Treatment is Best for Your Skin?
- What are the Top Acne Treatment Products on the Market Today?
- Save Money and Cure Your Acne Very Fast and Easy - Use these Exclusive Exposed Skin Care Coupon Codes >> Click Here Now
Acne that is mild can be treated at home using over the counter acne treatment products. Mild acne means, individuals see blackheads or whiteheads and some may also have papules and pustules that are not serious. Cases of mild acne can be improved considerably when the right treatment is started. Various over the counter products include Benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur and alcohols and acetone.
- Benzoyl peroxide is the most commonly used over the counter medication.
- Benzoyl peroxide is available in the form of a topical cream or ointment and is used to treat acne breakouts. It can also be found in the form of lotions, gels, and even toner-like solutions. Benzoyl peroxide is available in 2.5% to 10% strengths.
- Benzoyl peroxide is an antimicrobial agent that helps reduce the amount of acne-causing bacteria on the skin. It works by killing the bacteria Propionibacteria acnes, which responsible for acne breakouts. Benzoyl peroxide also helps to unclog the pores and reduces skin inflammation.
- Benzoyl peroxide, like all other acne treatments, takes little time to work. Patients may need to wait for at least eight to 10 weeks or more before seeing any noticeable improvement in their skin.
What are the Side Effects of Benzoyl Peroxide?
- Side effects of benzoyl peroxide include cause skin dryness and peeling. So, by starting off very slowly, it is less likely to create any uncomfortable dryness and peeling.
- It makes the skin more sensitive to sun, so it is very important to wear sunscreen every day while using benzoyl peroxide.
- Applying more medication or more often than directed, may increase the chance of annoying side effects.
What Things We Have to Keep in Mind When Using Benzoyl Peroxide?
- Use a Moisturizer – Using a noncomedogenic moisturizer after cleansing will help prevent the skin becoming dry and flaky due to benzoyl peroxide use.
- Keep Away From Clothing, Towels, and Hair – Keep benzoyl peroxide away from cloth, towels and hair as it acts like bleach and will changes color everything it touches.
- Always Wear Sunscreen – Benzoyl peroxide makes the skin more sensitive to the sun. So wearing an oil-free sunscreen with SPF 15 everyday will protect the skin from the harmful rays of sun.
- Don’t Use it with Other Acne Medications – Benzoyl peroxide should not be used with other acne medications unless recommended by the physician. It may cause severe peeling, dryness, redness and flaking when combined with other acne medications.
Sulfur and Resorcinol
Sulfur is one of the oldest medications and also available as prescription drugs. Sulfur is a natural element, and has a quite distinctive odor but today’s sulfur products don’t smell bad.
Quite often, sulfur over the counter acne treatments also contain sodium sulfacetamide or resorcinol. Resorcinol removes the dead cells thereby preventing comedones. Sulfur and Resorcinol are typically used in strengths of 5-8% and 2% respectively.
What are the Side Effects of Sulfur and Resorcinol?
- Skin irritation, redness, burning, drying and peeling are the most common side effects. The side effects tend to be worse during the beginning of the treatment. To avoid this unpleasant side effect, patients have to start the treatment slowly, and build up to the recommended dose.
- Some sulfur containing products can cause skin discoloration. And some sulfur products still have that unique odor.
What Things We Have to Keep in Mind When Using Sulfur?
- Sulfur over the counter acne treatment products should not be used if the skin is sunburned, chapped or already irritated. It is good to wait until it has healed before using any sulfur products.
- Avoid drying soaps or abrasive scrubs, as they can over-dry the skin and make the sulfur products sting when applied.
- Using sulfur products along with any other prescription acne medication ma cause major irritation.
- Also, using sulfur with other over the counter acne medication may increase skin dryness and should be avoided unless recommended by the physician.
- The effect of sulfur on a developing fetus is not known, so let the doctor know if the patient is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Salicylic acid is beta hydroxy acid that is commonly used to treat comedonal or non-inflamed acne. It is a very popular ingredient in many over the counter products. It is found in creams and lotions, cleansers, medicated treatment pads, toners or solutions. The usual strength of salicylic acid in most products is 0.5 to 2%.
Salicylic acid helps to correct the abnormal desquamation process that occurs in an acne-prone skin. It functions as an exfoliant, which promotes sloughing away of the dead skin cells.
Salicylic acid has the ability to penetrate the follicles thereby encouraging the shedding of dead cells from within the follicle, and helps keeping the pores clear of any cellular debris. In this manner, it reduces the number of pore blockages and skin breakouts.
Salicylic acid works well for those with blackheads and whiteheads. It is found in over the counter cleansers, lotions, and treatment pads.
What are the Side Effects of Side Effects of Salicylic Acid?
- Salicylic acid can cause irritation, stinging, burning, and dryness, peeling and flaking of the skin. These side effects can be controlled effectively through the use of an oil free moisturizer every day.
- Using salicylic acid in conjunction with other anti acne products such as retinoids or benzoyl peroxide canincrease dryness, stinging or peeling.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers should speak with their doctor before using salicylic acid, especially if the product is used over a large area in the body.
Alcohol and Acetone
The combination of alcohol and acetone are also used in many over the counter products for oily skin types. Alcohols are antimicrobial in nature and may help to reduce the bacteria that cause acne. Acetone helps to remove the excess oil from the skin. Together they work to cleanse the excess oil from the skin thereby reducing the amount of blocked pores. Alcohol and acetone are mainly found in toners, cleansers and astringents.
Most over the counter acne treatments dry the skin to a certain extent, so overuse of these products could cause excessive peeling, dryness and redness. Before start using any of these above mentioned products, it is very important to first understand the skin in order to attain best result.
What Treatment is Best for Your Skin?
Acne is a common skin disease that occurs in young people as small red spots in the body parts like face, neck and even in chest. In general acne affects people at the age 11 to 20, the so called age of adolescence. But in certain cases it may present even at the age of 30 or more.
Acne is a natural disease when it is considered at young age. Naturally the skin disease will wither after the adolescence stage. If it does not reduce in time, then proper control measures must be taken to control the disease before it control your life.
The acne treatments depend on the skin type of the people and the current stage of the skin disease along with factors like person age etc. The treatment for acne will vary based on the factor from one person to other depending on their type.
The first step in the treatment is to identify the nature of the skin and the stage of the skin disease. From the above result one can identify the proper treatment method for the person. The identification of proper treatment steps is the main step in treating the acne. The main factor in identifying the treatment is to find the exact cause for the skin disease.
The acne may be present due to the natural hormone changes that will trap the moisture and dust material in the skin layer leading to acne. In other cases the acne maybe present due to infection in the top layer of the skin. The treatment for the acne also depends on the location of the skin disease. The treatment carried out for the acne that occurs in the face will be different from those in the chest or other parts of the body.
The treatment, once identified for the person type of the skin disease, will be effective only when there is proper support from the person itself in terms of proper hygiene, proper diet which contributes to the accuracy of the treatment.
The person hygiene is an important factor in getting proper result through any kind of treatment. The concerned person must take proper care in maintaining the top layer of the skin, since the top layer is the most sensitive area in contacting with acne. The person must go for regular face wash and other steps to keep the skin as healthy and clean as possible.
The next important step in the acne proactive treatment is the proper intake of diet which compliments the nature of the skin. The fat levels in the human body plays important role in treating the acne. The acne proactive treatment is similar to any other acne treatment with special attention on the pre study of the factors affecting the acne like hygiene and diets. The fat level in the body must be maintained at proper level. There is two kind of fat, one being positive and the other causes negative effect. The two types must be balanced in equal proportion for better skin texture.
What are the Top Acne Treatment Products on the Market Today?
There is enormous amount of product for treating the acne. But the effectiveness of the treatment carried using a particular product is less when compared to the total product count in the market. Most product fails in effective treatment.
One of the treatment types for the acne available through medical prescription is the Accutance. Those people suffering from the acne with severe pain and those in the later stage of the skin disease are treated with Accutance. Since there is no effective external treatment for those suffering from severe acne, the treatment is to take pills internally to stop the functioning of the pores that leads to acne spots.
The Accutance is taken internally and the method has high level of side effects in the body. The side effect includes change of skin type, dry lips, and cracks in the lip and other part in the face.
Considering the number of side effects caused due to Accutance treatment, it is prescribed only for those suffering from severe acne type. Those treated with Accutance for any slight type of acne will face serious consequences in the skin. It may even aggravate the acne in the body.
There is another type of the treatment called the Retin-a. The Retin-a is a type of acne treatment that can be carried out for any type of acne in the body. The above treatment can be carried for acne scars or the wrinkles or even the acne spots and the treatment is effective to remove the acne spots in their early stage. The above treatment can be applied to all the people irrespective of their age.
Other type of acne treatment includes therapy given to remove the acne completely from the body. Though the therapy cost much more than any normal acne treatment, it is effective in removing the acne spot completely to the root level. There is no chance of having the acne spots again in the treated area. There are therapies for acne treatment like laser therapy, photodynamic therapy etc.
- The laser therapy must be done frequently to eradicate the disease from the root level.
- The photodynamic therapy is much convenient than the laser therapy since the treatment is carried only once and effectively remove the skin disease.
The laser therapy is said to be effective only when it is done in regular period like every week and also depend on the type of laser used.
Many researches are being done to find the effective treatment for the acne disease in all aspects. There are also treatment carried other than the involvement of the chemicals like treatment based on the natural oils and diets. The natural oil such as the tea tree oil, rosewood oil etc has much rich content in them for effective treatment of acne.